Louise A. Nixon Scholarship
APPLICATION DEADLINE: April 15, 2019
Louise A. Nixon Scholarship
Louise A. Nixon (1897-1989) worked constantly to enlighten the legislature about Nebraska’s libraries’ needs. She served as Assistant Director of the Nebraska Legislative Reference Bureau and as Legislative Council Librarian. Louise Nixon was head of the Nebraska Library Commission from 1950 to 1969. When federal funds were made available, she initiated bookmobile demonstration projects; public library construction; extension services; services to institutional residents and the physically challenged; and an inter-library communication network. Our lives have been enriched by her open-minded, conscientious dedication to building library service in this state.
When Nixon reflected on her life for the Lincoln Journal, the paper wrote, “There is no single figure of greater 20th century significance in developing Nebraska’s contemporary system of community libraries – facilities, collections, trained personnel, cooperative networking.”
The Louise A. Nixon Scholarship Fund was established to help each recipient reach for Nixon’s goals of dedication and vision. This scholarship supports students who pursue full- or part-time graduate-level library education. Applicants must meet the Nebraska Library Association eligibility criteria below and submit complete applications on or before the deadline.
1. Applicant must be accepted to either (a) an ALA-accredited graduate school of library/information science, or (b) a school library/library media graduate program/endorsement accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) that also meets ALA/AASL curriculum guidelines.
2. Applicant must be (a) a resident of Nebraska or an employee of a Nebraska library for at least one year, AND (b) a member of NLA or NSLA at the time of application.
3. There is a preference for applicants who can demonstrate the best potential for employment in Nebraska libraries after graduation.
4. Previous recipients of the Louise A. Nixon Scholarship are not eligible to reapply.
Applications open February 15. Applicants are required to complete the Nebraska Library Association Application Form at https://nebraskalibraries.site-ym.com/page/nixon2018
Applications must be submitted electronically by April 15th. Recipients will be notified by June 1.
Application required attachments (In addition to your completed application, please provide the following):
1. Proof of acceptance or enrollment in an ALA/AASL accredited graduate program (as described in the first criteria) for the period of the award.
2. Current résumé or vitae.
3. One letter of recommendation, less than a year old.
4. Personal statement explaining (a) why are you the best candidate to receive the scholarship, and (b) your professional goals, both after graduation and long-term.